Supporting these Charities in 2019
In excess of $1.75 million has been distributed to South Canterbury Organisations over 14 annual Rides.
The 2018 ride provided $153,000 for 7 local Charities and Community Organisations 125 riders raised $153,000 for Hospice SC, YMCA, Alzheimers, Graeme Dingle Foundation, Learning 4U, Riding for the Disabled-Geraldine
Hospice South Canterbury
Hospice South Canterbury offers special care to patients with life-limiting conditions and support for their families. We do this in five main ways.
- Operation of a seven-bed in-patient unit for patients requiring symptom management (25per cent), respite care (25 per cent), and end-of-life (50percent). This requires a minimum of two nurses per shift, three shifts per day, 365 days a year; plus, counselling staff. In the last year our occupancy rate has risen markedly.
- Day care. Each Monday in our therapeutic centre people with life-limiting illnesses visit for massage, reiki, activities and to simply talk to others in similar positions. There are tears, there are laughter.
- A number of new services started in the last year, including an outpatient clinic, a Better Breathing course, a Carer Skills programme and a Relax ad Revive service aimed also at family members.
- Bereavement support for families. During the dying process and for a year after death families are supported by Hospice counsellors and trained volunteers.
- A night sitting service in people’s homes, where trained carers go in to allow the patient’s partner to have a good night’s sleep.
All services are offered free of charge to anyone in South Canterbury who meet palliative care criteria.
PINC & STEEL
Life Education South Canterbury
MS South Canterbury
YMCA South & Mid Canterbury
Funds received would be applied to our operational costs to deliver our various youth development and second chance education programmes. This includes our Resiliency Toolkit programme, Y-Skills Outdoor programme both of which help develop self-esteem and confidence, leadership and teamwork skills, planning and health & safety skills all of which are useful to themselves and future employers.